Monday, November 12, 2007

Texas

It took me a while to choose a title, and honestly it's not perfect, because Deadwood is in South Dakota... but there's a feeling evoked. I'm sure you sympathize.

My parents were here over the last couple days. As always it was wonderful to see them. I'm the result of the union of two of the most energetic good-hearted people in the world - myself I can only attempt to explain by theorizing that their coupling was performed on a bed of lazy self-interest - so they were no sooner in my place than they were cooking and rearranging my house. Admittedly, it needed it, and it is a great deal easier to type with my laptop on this Target brand computer desk (and bookshelf set, $69.99), but to spend two solid days with your parents is an exhausting proposition, I don't care who you are.

The Richard Tatorship had their premier last night at Amphora Restaurant. In general, and particularly relative to how it could have gone, it went very well. We're a young troupe, and we've practiced about twice as often as we've performed, so I wasn't expecting miracles, but there were a couple. I think that we as a group will run more quickly than most into the eternal improv question: popular vs artistic; and the perennial improv conflicts: long- vs short-form,
but given the auspicious start I am inclined to give us the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, I'd hardly be likely to criticize the group publicly in a venue which also serves as publicity, would I?

Deadwood is my favorite television program ever. (sigh.) I'm sorry, The Simpsons, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Batman: The Animated Series, but your various outstanding episodes cannot compare to the nearly uniform flawlessness that is Shakespeare With Tons Of Cursing. Except for the main character! Honestly, in the third season I believe they have started to accept the fact that no one can like Bullock by writing him as a complete prick.

Tonight serves well to illustrate a moment in the life. Today I was called to see whether I could take down lights at the American Theatre Company, yesterday someone called to ask whether I could move The Snow Queen set into Victory Gardens. As a result, my leisurely evening and morning must be canceled, and this blog briefened.
It's not surprising that Firefox doesn't know the word briefened, but insisting on the spelling "theater?" Come on.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Why evildoers are continually willing to follow Batman into enclosed dark spaces is entirely beyond me.